What do flecainide tablets do?
FLECAINIDE (Tambocor(R)) is an antiarrhythmic agent. Flecainide treats irregular heart rhythm and can slow rapid heartbeats (tachycardia). Flecainide can help your heart to return to and maintain a normal rhythm.
What should my health care professional know before I take flecainide?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
• abnormal levels of potassium in the blood
• heart disease or problems other than rhythm and heart rate problems
• kidney disease
• liver disease
• previous heart attack
• an unusual or allergic reaction to flecainide, local anesthetics, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
• pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I take this medicine?
Take flecainide tablets by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Swallow the tablets with a drink of water. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Contact your pediatrician or health care professional regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take the missed dose if it is more than 4 hours after the dose was due. Do not take double or extra doses.
What other medicines can interact with flecainide?
• ammonium chloride
• arsenic trioxide
• beta-blockers, often used for high blood pressure or heart problems
• certain antibiotics (such as clarithromycin, erythromycin, gatifloxacin, grepafloxacin, levofloxacin, moxifloxacin, sparfloxacin)
• medicines for angina or high blood pressure
• medicines for asthma or breathing difficulties (such as formoterol or salmeterol)
• some medicines for treating depression or mental illness (amoxapine, maprotiline, pimozide, phenothiazines, tricyclic antidepressants)
• medicines to control heart rhythm (examples: amiodarone, digoxin, disopyramide, dofetilide, procainamide, quinidine, sotalol)
• sodium bicarbonate
Tell your prescriber or health care professional about all other medicines you are taking, including non-prescription medicines, nutritional supplements, or herbal products. Also tell your prescriber or health care professional if you are a frequent user of drinks with caffeine or alcohol, if you smoke, or if you use illegal drugs. These may affect the way your medicine works. Check with your health care professional before stopping or starting any of your medicines.
What side effects may I notice from taking flecainide?
Side effects that you should report to your prescriber or health care professional as soon as possible:
• chest pain, continued irregular heartbeats
• difficulty breathing
• swelling of the legs or feet
• trembling, shaking
• unusual weakness or tiredness
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your prescriber or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
• blurred vision
• nausea, vomiting
• stomach pain